Philip Bennett has had a long career as a foreign correspondent, newspaper editor and documentary film producer. He is currently the Special Projects Editor at FRONTLINE, the documentary series on PBS. Before joining the Duke faculty in 2009, he was the managing editor of The Washington Post for four years. Previously he directed the Post’s international coverage. During his tenure as managing editor, The Post won ten Pulitzer Prizes.
Bennett’s journalism career started in 1982 at The Lima Times in Peru, where he became the paper’s editor. He was hired as a metropolitan reporter by The Boston Globe in 1984 and was named the newspaper’s Latin American correspondent, based in Mexico City. He covered wars in Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala, the U.S. invasion of Panama, and wrote about Mexico, Cuba and Brazil. Bennett was later the Globe’s foreign editor.
At Duke, Bennett is the director of the Rutherfurd Living History Program, which has created an interactive platform for publishing oral histories. He teaches about journalism ethics, reporting about national security and politics, the practice of journalism interviews, and coverage of war.
- Supreme Revenge Producer. 2019, PBS FRONTLINE
- Trump’s Showdown Producer. 2018, PBS FRONTLINE
- The Facebook Dilemma Producer. 2018, PBS FRONTLINE
- Putin’s Revenge Producer. 2017, PBS FRONTLINE
- Bannon’s War Producer. 2017, PBS FRONTLINE
- Divided States of America Producer. 2017, PBS FRONTLINE
- The Choice 2016 2016 Producer. PBS FRONTLINE
- Mourning for Strangers in the YouTube Era The Boston Globe, (11/2016)
- 21st Century Censorship Columbia Journalism Review (01-02/2015) Spanish version, published in El Pais
- Truth Vigilantes: On Transparency and Journalism (p.103-122) (10/2013)
- When a Crisis in Journalism Meets an Economy in Crisis History of Political Economy (01/2011)
- “Retrato de un pais en crisis” (Portrait of a Country in Crisis) El Pais newspaper (06/2010)
- Covering Islam (01/2010)
- Professor Phil Bennett Wins Emmy for Documentary on Clinton and Trump. Sanford School of Public Policy, (10/2017)
- Producing “The Choice” – FRONTLINE’s documentary on the 2016 Presidential Candidates. Sanford School of Public Policy, Policy 360 podcast, (7/2016)
- Duke Team Writes Code for Interactive Script of PBS Documentary. Sanford School of Public Policy, (2/2017)
- News and Democracy: The Missing Pieces Shorenstein Center on Media Politics and Public Policy (03/2016)
Office Hours with Philip Bennett on National Security Reporting Duke University (02/2011)